Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My Purity Commitment Story

It was that time of the year again. The high school golf team had just won their last tournament of the year and it was time to celebrate. At our school golf is a way of life. Only the coolest of the cool get invited to this party, an invite guarantees a spot at school royalty. Let me start by saying I was no school princess. I had a great group of friends and we mainly kept to ourselves. We were different than most kids in our schools. We stood up for ourselves, and the things we believed in, most importantly, our faith. Our group even had a name, we called ourselves the clean clique. To be in the clean clique you had to adhere to a few important guidelines, the most important being a promise to keep ourselves pure until marriage. We held this bond by all wearing purity rings we had purchased online at an awesome site called cornerstone jewelry designs. The clean clique didn’t get invited to parties and we were sure this one probably wouldn’t be much different. It didn’t bother us though, all we needed was each other. It was the last period of the day and I was watching two things, the clock on the wall, and the back of bobby’s head. Sitting right in front of me he looked as smooth as ever.



Bobby was the captain of the golf team and pretty much ruled the school. His Nike hat bent perfectly over his brown long hair. Yeah you heard me right, he was so royal the teachers let him wear his hat in class. It was pretty normal for bobby to give me the occasional smile every now and then, and sometimes we would even chat about what was going on in class. The bell rang and popped me out of the bobby daze I was in. As we were standing up the unthinkable happened. Bobby turned to me and handed me a piece of paper. He said the three most perfect words ever and walked out smoother than a 10 foot tiger woods putt on the 18th, “don’t be late”. I was in shock as I opened up the paper it revealed to me that I had been invited to this year’s end of the year golf party! I literally ran to meet the clean clique girls outside in the yard to show them the gold I held in my hand. They were so happy for me, and the golden ticket I had in my hand. As we talked more and more about the party I started to get a little nervous. It started to hit me that my other friends weren’t invited and if I was to go to this party I would be going at it alone. I knew what these parties were like I knew there would be temptations. My girls talked me through it and even helped me pick out the perfect outfit. It was make or break time.

I pulled up to the party and was so full or nerves. This felt unreal. I said a prayer to myself and walked in strong and proud. I opened the door and was met by my favorite forever the sickest kids song blaring from the speakers. People were everywhere and everyone seemed to be having so much fun. I wished the clean clique could have been here with me but moved through the crowd to find a group I was familiar with. They were all lounging over by the goldfish tray as I walked up and said my hellos. I was greeted by tons of screaming and hugs. This was awesome. As we all stood around talking, a boy I hardly knew looked down at my hand and started laughing. I was confused and asked him what was wrong. He asked me what I was wearing on my finger. I happily explained to him the ring and what it meant to me. The group erupted in laughter, like a zoo exhibit full of chimpanzees. The room started to get dizzy and started to feel lost. The more I tried to explain the more they laughed. Even bobby and his stupid nike hat was there laughing at my expense. To these people the idea of purity and moral values was a joke. I don’t think I’ve ever ran out of a house faster than I did that night. I drove myself over to the sleep over where the rest of the clean clique was hanging out at. I explained to them what I had experienced with a face full of tears. We talked it out together and even opened up our devotionals to help get through the experience. I learned a valuable lesson that night, about real friends, faith, and the common teenager. We are a dime a dozen but we do exist. We don’t need parties or tons of friends running the wrong way through life. All we need is each other and our faith. It goes unsaid that the golf party was the last one I ever attended and that was fine with me. I had my faith and I had my friends. Who needs more than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment